Thursday, October 19, 2006

Paris L. Gray, our staff photographer and my friend dies

That was Paris, being positive and funny, making faces for the camera even in the hospital bed..... He lost his battle... We loved him and we always will.



He was strong, always smiling and always willing to help. He kept shooting through the first months of his chemo. He always had time to sit down with me and help me edit a project I happened to work on at that time. Music, photography, his wife and, strangely enough, covering funerals, these were his passions.

Here's what one of our reporters Matt Katz wrote about him:

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=doc&p_docid=114DDA8FD74F25D8&p_docnum=1&p_theme=gannett&s_site=courierpostonline&p_product=CHCB

Paris L. Gray, a 12-year Courier-Post photographer known professionally for his compelling coverage of sensitive events and personally for his unique style of yellow-tinted glasses and eclectic hats, died Sunday morning after a battle with cancer.
He was 44.
The photojournalist saw his vocation as an art, and colleagues said Monday that he sought the best angle and perspective on each shot -- including potent shots of funerals, which earned him a Pulitzer Prize nomination in 1994.
"When your passion becomes your livelihood, every day is a great day," Gray wrote in the introduction to an online gallery of his work.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jackie Byrd said...

I met Paris in 1981 when we worked together. He was one of the nicest, sweetest people I have ever met. He had such a wonderful, sunny disposition. Always positive and always smiling. When I met him his passions were football and photograpy. I recently found photo's that he took of me at the Washington Monument in downtown Baltimore. Beautiful black and white pictures. I was so sad to learn of his passing but his memory will live on. I will cherish the photos that I have which, he signed for me. He was a treasure.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home